Pages

Followers

Saturday, 15 July 2017

July tutorial

*******************************************
You can find this month's challenge HERE

******************************************* 


Good morning all, Sammy here with a mid-month tutorial for you all.

For the challenge this month, I did a trio of mixed media canvases.


So I thought I'd share with you how I made them.

Each canvas is just under 6" square, which is my personal ideal size and shape to play with. If you have trouble finding the size canvas you like working with for a reasonable price, check your local charity/goodwill shops. That's what I did here. I bought a set of 3 pre-printed canvases for £1.25. bargain! All you need to do is liberally apply Gesso...


As you can see, after only one coat, the previous design still shines through, but depending on the opacity of the Gesso you're using, usually after 3 or 4 coats it is brilliantly white (or you can use black, if you're going for a darker piece) and ready for you to create on.

I started off by adding a stencilled texture paste pattern to the canvas, then dug around my stash for the embellishments I wanted to use. It's always a good idea to place the pieces on your canvas to decide on composition before you commit to anything.


As you can see, there's a variety of shapes and textures, and even some things you might not immediately think of as craft supplies! Remember that the colour of the items doesn't matter, as the next step is to Gesso it all.
I Gessoed everything but the flowers and the metal charm, and adhered them to the canvas.
then it was a simple matter of sprinkling some pigments, spraying with water and adding the charm and flowers back in (which I wanted to keep white, hence waiting to add them until after the pigment step).


A sentiment sticker, edged in black and a couple of gems finish the piece off nicely. If you want your piece to last, and want it to withstand dusting/people prodding at it, I would recommend using a spray sealant to protect it, and to stop the pigments from coming off again, as they return to being quite crumbly when they dry. I would NOT recommend hairspray, as I have it on good authority this turns yellow after a while!

To make a matching set, just use similar "ingredients", varying them a little and changing up the composition a bit. Then use the same colours on each, which will give it a cohesive look.


When deciding where to sprinkle your pigments, look for places with lots of crevasses, like the ornate resin frames I used, and absorbent surfaces like lace or other fabrics. The pigments will take beautifully to those areas, and add a lot of depth to your finished piece.


And that's it from me. I hope you've found something useful in the steps above, and if you decide to have a go yourself, please do come and share it with us in our challenge!

Have a lovely day!

Sammy-x

No comments: